[Rhodes22-list] What Stan Does ...

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 23:59:09 EDT 2006

Ed,

Re getting something written down regarding refurbishment.  You may be
right, but it seems to me that there are certain guidelines that would clarify
what refurbishment means at GBI, and also baseline what the purchase  represents.
 For example:
- Is there actually a written warranty?   I suppose I’ll find out this Sat,
but as I sit here, I don’t know.  If  there’s not, it might behoove Stan to
think of a suitably weasel worded document  - for his refurbs.  Just having a
copy of that document on GBI letterhead  might help underwriters understand what
they’re dealing with when they are  dealing with a refurb.
- Are there specific checks that every refurb goes  through?  I really don’t
know.  If there are, it might give  underwriters a sense that this old hull is
almost new again.
- There are some  things you can say about the refurb process, I think. For
example, the basic  price of each boat to be refurbed will vary depending on
the configuration of  the specific boat, it’s condition, and it’s age.  To the
extent that an  existing system or part on a refurbished boat is in good
operational order it  will not be fixed or improved, however, where deficiencies
are noted they will  be fixed, those costs are part of the basic price of any
refurbished  vessel.  The basic refurbished vessel will conform in all respects
to  the terms of the refrub vessel warranty.   If the purchaser desires
improvements to working systems on the vessel,  they may, at an additional  cost,
have GBI effect those improvements as part of the refurbishment process  and it
will be done to factory specs and an explicit part of the factory  warranty.
Examples:
- You want captain seats and they don’t exist on  the refurbished boat, GBI
modify the boatplan as needed and buy and install  seats GBI specifications
(i.e. now part of the warranty).
- You want an  IMF and it doesn’t exist on the boat to be refurbished, GBI
will buy and install  an IMF system to factory specifications (i.e. now part of
the warranty).
-  You want a UPP and it doesn’t exist on the boat to be refurbished, GBI
will  build and install a UPP system to factory specifications (i.e. now part of
the  warranty).

There could be an options list for upgrades, just as there is an options
list for new boats, realizing that some options just don’t make sense because
they are already part of the basic boat to be refurb’d.  For example, our  basic
boat to be refurb’d came with 2 batteries on board - no reason to pay for
the installation of a second battery, it’s there and in some real sense the  2nd
battery was part of the "basic" package.

These possible upgrades may, or may not, be cost effective, but they do  tell
the prospective buyer what the process is.  You start with the basic  price
and whatever is on the boat to be refurbed and you add or subtract as
appropriate.  You give the prospective purchaser or underwriter a price  list that
lays it all out.

Just having a written warranty and something like the material above
expanded on and written down on GBI letterhead with a supporting options list  and
prices would help justify the price of a refurb to insurers.  Also, it  would
make any explanation of the difference between an 89 refurbed in 06  (89R06) and
an 89 never refurbed a whole lot easier and meaningful.

I don’t recall this being on the GBI site.  As I recall what’s there’s  just
a teaser to call Stan and find out more.  He might save himself a  lot of
useless phone calls, and prospective purchasers and certainly  insurers  might
get a quicker appreciation of the GBI refurbishment  process, if he had
something like the above on his website and available as  hardcopy for insurers.

JMO, and it really doesn't matter because I'm sure Stan is going to do what
he want's to do.

Dave