[Rhodes22-list] Need a Boat Name

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Apr 5 04:05:14 EDT 2006

Unfortunately, I did not follow the boat renaming procedures...  When the
boat sank at port on Father's
> Day 2005, the Admiral took it to mean the boat was doomed.

I'm not really the superstitious type myself, but if a little ceremony might
help--why not?  You don't have to make a big deal out of it. If you feel
silly standing on your bow in front of everybody at the marina yelling to
the gods and guzzling champagne, fine.  You can quietly sit below and mutter
the words softly--but mutter them you must!  Oh, and you also must spill
some of the libation on the boat and in the water.

When we bought our R22 it was named Amethyst.  We wondered why anyone would
name a boat after something that sinks.  We also heard that amethyst is
sometimes used as a symbol of sobriety.  That doesn't work for us either.
8-)

We painstakingly removed all traces of the name and held a denaming ceremony
first, thanking King Neptune et al for all the safe passages under the old
name.  Then we put on the new name and held a new christening ceremony.

This was all done with ample pomp and circumstance, song and plenty of
libation.

Slim
S/V Fandango

Addendum:  The Fandango is the name of a traditional type of song and dance
and celebration performed as the villagers welcome home the ships returning
from sea.  The song has a three-beat rhythm (we have three owners) and our
favorite fandango song is in Spanish but translates to:  "My boat is not the
prettiest boat but it has the best motion..."   Other musical references to
Procol Harem and ZZ Top.