[Rhodes22-list] burying the rail

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 18 20:51:30 EDT 2006

Rhodies~

I looked this up, just for you.

"As matter of fact, years ago boat owners thought that a sailboat was
sailing fastest when the lee rail was "buried" (under the water).  It wasn't
until speedometers were invented for sailboats that it was discovered that
they actually slowed down when the lee rail was awash."  p. 58
Fundamentals of Sailing, Cruising & Racing    by Steve Colgate (470 Olympic
Gold Medalist, President Offshore Sailing School, New Yorker)

Also, when the boat heels excessively to windward, the underwater fins lose
a great deal of their efficiency because they are now at a 30-35 degree
angle too.  This loss of underwater lift can also result in excessive leeway
(slippage to leeward), which is very difficult for the crew on board the
boat to detect.

Boats heeling excessively also create a larger leeward-side bow wave, which
causes the boat to head up into the wind.  (A small amount of "windward
helm" is generally considered a safety feature).  To counteract excessive
windward helm, the rudder must be held off-centerline.  This resulting drag
is also slow.

Meat on the rail, my friends, is the answer!   Skippers, order your crew to
hike out!  You will sail right by the heeled over boat, who will wonder why
you can point so very high, while they are slipping off to leeward.

PT