[Rhodes22-list] Sailing suggestion.

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Apr 18 21:01:52 EDT 2006

Bob,

The speed limitation applies only to displacement hulls.  The Rhodes-22
hull can plane when sailed flat.  I can motor at 6.25 kts, and have
sailed at 9 kts, for hours on end, when the wind is blowing, and I'm
sailing as flat as I can.

Most people on the list have sailed faster than 5.7 kts.  When that
happens, they are planing.  You can plane faster flat than heeled in an
R-22.

Bill Effros