[Rhodes22-list] burying the rail

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 18 21:48:45 EDT 2006

GlacierEd,

I thought Rummy started this conversation by asserting the speed of a Rum
Runner fly-bye.

To address your question, I agree with Buddy Melges that all boats have an
optimum angle of heel.  For most small sailboats (and I think for R22 too)
it's about 15 degrees.  That ideal angle sets a boat "on it's lines" and is
probably how Phil Rhodes intended the boat be sailed.  A small amount of LWL
increase would be likely at that angle, maybe an inch or so.

Buddy Melges on Sailing to Windward:

"The first thing you must determine is your boat's optimum angle of heel.
This angle varies quite widely from class to class or from one design to
another, but it always applies, no matter how strong or weak the wind, and
you should memorize what that angle is.  A Flying Dutchman, like most
dinghy-type boats, likes to sail to windward almost straight up with no heel
at all.  Keelboats, on the other hand, might sail their best when they are
heeled over 20 degrees or more.

When I get onboard a boat I haven't sailed before, I sail off by myself and
find out what the correct angle is.  The boat will give you the information
you need:  straighten the boat up and it slows down; heel it over too far
and it slows down - in short, whenever it gets off its ideal sailing lines
it slows down.  Once you have identified the optimum angle of heel, that
becomes the groove angle of the boat; you always should sail to windward at
that angle.  All your tiller, traveler, and sail-shape adjustments should be
made to keep the boat sailing at that one angle."

PT