[Rhodes22-list] Sailing suggestion.

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Apr 19 14:07:08 EDT 2006

Peter,

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.  So I whipped out my knot stick, which
very accurately measures speed through water, and I pinned the sucker at
the top end of the low range, then tried again in the medium range and
sat around 9 kts.

LIS currents aren't 3 kts, anyhow, and I was going across them, so that
really wouldn't have explained it.

I then raced across the Sound against a heeling 40-45 ft boat and kept
up with them the whole way.  When we reached Long Island the captain
called across the water "How the hell did you do that?"  "Rhodes-22" I
replied.  "Sail them flat."

Bill Effros