[Rhodes22-list] Edenton visit--Shorties

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Apr 24 14:17:39 EDT 2006

Yes, Art,

I do have a mast stub.  It's on the boat right now.  It's long enough so
the pop top will go to its normal up position, and short enough to fit
under the mast in it's cradle and on the bow pulpit.  I don't have the
exact dimension.  I plan to mount it on the tabernacle, and, depending
on the stability, mount cleats on the sides of the shorty to tie it down
to the rails or deck hardware if needed.

Elton also brought me the new upmarket table sockets.  They are made of
anodized aluminum (I think) and should hold up better than the (painted
pot metal?).  I got 2 for me and 2 for Bruce.  I assume Dave's boat
already has them.  I am thinking through the exact height of the
shorties that go into the new system.  There may be variable height
hydraulic units available.

I'm setting up my shorty tiller.  Looks like you can cut 2 shorties out
of a regular full size.  I already have a hiking stick that pops into
and out of my existing full size tiller, so I will play around with
normal steering using the shorty, as well as auto tiller steering.
Also, I'll let you know what you have to do to get the shorty out of the
way when at Anchor.  I will fasten my tillers with quick pins.

Either Stan or I will cut down an extension arm to work as a towing
shorty around the boat yard.  I store my extension arm outside the
trailer sleeve when not in use.  This eliminates the rusting problem
that often occurs after protracted non-use in this climate.

Elton brought me everything I had planned to go to Edenton to get.  It
was like Christmas in April!  I don't anticipate ever towing my boat out
of the boatyard again, because I just don't have the time in the
winter.  The only thing left to get is your Boom Room.  Don't rush.  Get
it right.  I've got to finish my book, and install everything Elton
brought before I can even put my boat on the water.  We are unexpectedly
having a wedding at our house in the middle of the summer, so I'll be
spending a lot of time on my Kubota, and a lot less time on my boat than
I had anticipated.

I know your Boom Room will be ready before I am able to use it, so feel
free to keep making them for others before you get to mine.

Bill Effros