[Rhodes22-list] Flare guns & state law

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Apr 25 20:45:07 EDT 2006

Flare guns & state law

The latest USCG pamphlet "federal Requirements & Safety Tips
For Recreational Boats" on page 15 has the following
statement: "Pistol launched ... flares ... have many
characteristics of a firearm ... In some states they are
considered a firearm and prohibited from use."

I have been blissfully carrying a 12 guage flare pistol
and flare shells for years.  IMHO, 12 guage parachute
flares are the most effective distress signal available,
and I can carry a lot in a small space.

After seeing the above warning, I searched the 'net for
references and got fragmentary results - no collected or
unified infomation addressing this issue.  I did find
several fragmentary references indicating that lower and
appellate courts in Virginia held that a flare pistol
was a firearm.  VA supreme court said it wasn't -- some
years later.

At least one New York court decided that a flare pistol
was a concealable weapon, and therefore illegal.

I plan to be sailing Lake Champlain and the Hudson, and
hope to be on the Chesapeake again before I can't sail
any more.  I need to know what the true state of the law
is in each state from Norfolk to Maine.

Does anyone know of such a compendium?
--
Robert Skinner