[Rhodes22-list] Flare guns & state law

Saroj Gilbert saroj at pathfind.net
Wed Apr 26 01:48:57 EDT 2006

They didn't cite me for the flares... because they weren't required on the
river... however they said I couldn't take the boat into the Bay w/o
up-to-date flares.

By "current sure to work flares"... you mean I didn't have to have a flare
gun at all, but if I did, I needed current flares?  That wasn't my
impression.  So I guess it boils down to "extra stuff" while on the river,
but required and up-to-date on the Bay.  I haven't checked lately, but I
don't think a 22' sailing vessel is required to carry flares on inland
waters... perhaps the deal is that the Chesapeake is large enough to be
considered something else and of course it does egress into the Atlantic,
but I passed inspection in Lake Michigan w/o them and you could fit 5
Chesapeakes or so into that body of water.  We never carried flare guns in
small boats in the Pacific where I grew up, but then that was many years
ago.  Guess I should get clear on this before I go out again.

Does that clarify?

The irony of it all is that the "visit" cost us the 1/2 hour of daylight
that we needed cause we missed a marker (the shipping channels have them WAY
far apart).  We were one of only two out sailing that day and just got
"lucky" I guess... And why should that matter? Cause my batteries died on
the GPS and my spares had one dud.  Lesson: carry 3 times as many batteries
as you might need.  Due to the large quantity of shoals in the area we had
to stay quite a way out from the shore line... we ended up pulling into a
different harbor than our destination with the failing light and lack of
familiarity with the area.  Between the navigation challenges, being chased
away from the Yorktown Naval Weapons station by gun boats and being boarded
by the USCG, it was quite an adventure to say the least.  (Do you think they
went easy on us because he is a 20-year Navy vet?  I didn't get the
impression that the USCG gave any notice to that, but he made sure to show
them THAT ID card.  It might have helped in lowering the hassle factor... to
say nothing of the fact that it was never warmer than 40 degrees and breezy
the whole time).

The happy ending is that James and I fell love due to or in spite of the
ordeal and still going strong.

Saroj