[Rhodes22-list] Wash., DC marinas

Philip recon at iwon.com
Sat Apr 29 12:54:04 EDT 2006

 I don't go into DC unless I absolutely have to and wouldn't go near the shore unless I were shipwrecked.  I plan to store my boat at the Ft. Belvoir Marina.  The only problem with the slips are the Corps of Engineers haven't been funded to dredge in years and they are very shallow (this is per the Marina Ops Staff).  I think it is deep enough for the R22 with the keel retracted but I am not sure.  I know membership is for military and retirees, but do they allow civilians access from the water?    --- On Sat 04/29, DCLewis1 at aol.com < DCLewis1 at aol.com > wrote:From: DCLewis1 at aol.com [mailto: DCLewis1 at aol.com]To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.orgDate: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:41:18 EDTSubject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Wash., DC marinasSteve,I don't think the Navy Yard does have a recreational marina. There may be other government sponsored or private marinas nearby in Md or DC (i.e. that side of the river). Regardless, the Navy Yard is in a rough part of DC, I recommend against having
your family in the area after dark. The area is changing, largely because the Navy has moved a major part of its headquarters functions from Crystal City (Va) to the Navy Yard, and that's attracted a lot of support contractors, which has motivated considerable office development in the immediate vicinity; but if you get even a block away from the Navy Yard it's very rough and you will likely feel at risk walking in the neighborhoods. You might check out the area if you're in the WDC area for business, I think you'll see what I mean.There is a military marina at Ft Belvoir (Army), but again that's isolated in terms of public transport and it's on the Va side of the river. I think there's an R22 at the Belvoir marina, the guy may be on the list.Dave__________________________________________________Use Rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org, Help? www.rhodes22.org/list