[Rhodes22-list] E85 fuel - and racing engines

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sat Apr 29 19:00:50 EDT 2006

Rik -

It is not the ethanol per se that screws up engines,
it is the disolved resins from fuel storage in the
fiberglass tanks.

Race vehicles generally don't have much fuel stored
in tanks -- you design to keep weight down, and make
sure that the fuel is fresh before a race.

/Bob Skinner
Rik Sandberg wrote:
> Darn, that's funny. I've run both methanol and ethanol in racing engines
> for years and never had those kinds of problems.
> Been running ethanol blended gasoline for about 20 years now, give or
> take  in all our cars and never had any trouble with them either.
> I don't think the sky is falling here.
>
> Rik
>
> Robert Skinner wrote:
> > It is also responsible for destroying fiberglass
> > fuel tanks, damaging fuel lines, and burning up
> > valves in inboard engines in larger boats.
> >
> > Approach with caution...
> >
> > /Robert Skinner
> > R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
> >
> >> Because it raises the volatility of gasoline, it raises the VOC (Volatile
> >> Organic Chemicals)emissions, especially in the summer creating even more smog in
> >>  large metropolitan areas. Gas mileage is reduced by 20 to 40% depending on
> >> the  vehicle and type of driving. There are extreme distribution problems
> >> already and  the price has skyrocketed. Doesn't sound like a good plan to me.
> >> I wish Roger was still here.
> >>
> >> Rummy

Robert Skinner         Coordinates N43° 41.330', W70° 24.889'
"Squirrel Haven", 9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, Maine 04038-1331
'87 Potter 15 # 1618 "Little Dipper", '94 P19 # 754 "Edith P"
Home message and FAX machine 207-839-8777, Cell 207-653-1752