[Rhodes22-list] LED Navigation Lights available from Ancor

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Aug 1 19:28:38 EDT 2006

From: "John Lock" <jlock at relevantarts.com>

{clip}

> >Secondly, when properly installed, LEDs should give considerable power
> >saving over incandescent lamps as a result of the collimination of the
light
> >output.  Less lumens are required to cover the same distance and make the
> >point source of light appear brighter (without any reflector or lens),
even
> >if they are not.
>
> True, when you need a point source of light (as for reading).  Not
> suitable for navigation.  But for cabin lighting, I'd think one of
> the T8 compact fluorescent units would have greater coverage at less
> power consumption.  Yes?

I would not recommend using a fluorescent lamp onboard as I have found them
to be unreliable in high humidity environments.  Someone once attempted to
explain to me that a fluorescent tube required a good ground reference
(fixture) to light properly.  OTOH, I do use a portable fluorescent while
camping and the only objections I have are the squeal of the oscillator in
the AC inverter and the flicker as the battery gets low.  I suspect that the
inverter efficiency is probably only about 60%, making fluorescents less
desirable from a power consumption standpoint.  Does anyone have figures on
it?

Mike