[Rhodes22-list] Stiff mainsail furler

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 23:03:15 EDT 2006

Chris,

Can't give you a scientific or chemical explanation why but the simple
answer is, NO!  As a kid mechanic we used WD40 on every moving airplane
part, animal, mineral, or vegetable with no harmful effects.  It also makes
a great stain remover.  However, WD40 is a short term lubricant at best.
Silicone lubricants have longer staying power and a dry lubricant like
SailKote is probably best on a boat.  WD40 works better than anything for
cleaning out gunk and old gummy former lubricants.  It works good as a
starter fluid as well. No boat is complete without at least one small can.

Do you know the story?  It was designed by an engineer to deflect moisture
off of NASA rockets.  Water Displacement - 40th formula.  Get it?

Brad