[Rhodes22-list] Enemy of the State?

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 00:14:19 EDT 2006

Slim,

You really are drunk.  5 minutes on Google came up with the following.

Hank

>From http://www.usflag.org/colors.html

The quote below concerning *gold fringe on the Flag* is from the book "So
Proudly We Hail, The History of the United States Flag" Smithsonian
Institute Press 1981, by Wiliam R. Furlong and Byron McCandless. "The
placing of a fringe on Our Flag is optional with the person of organization,
and no Act of Congress or Executive Order either prohibits the practice,
according to the Institute of Hearaldry. Fringe is used on indoor flags
only, as fringe on flags on outdoor flags would deteriorate rapidly. The
fringe on a Flag is considered and 'honorable enrichment only', and its
official use by the US Army dates from 1895.. A 1925 Attorney General's
Opinion states: 'the fringe does not appear to be regarded as an integral
part of the Flag, and its presence cannot be said to constitute an
unauthorized addition to the design prescribed by statute. An external
fringe is to be distinguished from letters, words, or emblematic designs
printed or superimposed upon the body of the flag itself. Under law, such
additions might be open to objection as unauthorized; but the same is not
necessarily true of the fringe.'"