[Rhodes22-list] Elle and Surveyors..spilling the beans

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 13 08:34:31 EDT 2006

Elle,

Great news! I bet your boat will turn some heads.

As for outboard motors.... "high thrust" is not just the prop. There are
also differences in gearing. A firend has a high thrust Yamaha on his O'Day
and his reverse works so much better than mine. The prop gearing combo is
designed for deplacement hulls. He has had his a few years and so far so
good. Not much more than idle will have him at hull speed. Wide open my 2
stroke is not that much louder but you never really need to run the Yamha
wiide open. When we drag race he wins every time. At hull speed his motor is
very quiet.

My Merc 6 HP 2 Stroke works fine for inland conditions. In areas of strong
tides and currents I would want an 8 or 9 horse. I don't have remote linkage
for motor and haven't found the need. Many outboards have electric start,
kill, throttle and F/R/N all on tiller. I never thought mixing oil was that
big of a deal. This also means you don't have any motor oil to change. The
big thing with me is the weight of the 4 strokes. Most are near 100 pounds!

Twenty inch is "Long Shaft". Twenty Five is "Extra Long". Make sure that
your motor lift will allow the 25 inch to clear the water on all points of
sail. The extra long most likely would help some when hobby horsing in bad
weather.

Do you have any pics? I would love to see the wheel steering.

Wally