[Rhodes22-list] Scotch

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 07:55:30 EDT 2006

Slim,

Here's the answer from the Chicago Manual of Style.

*Q.* Do you capitalize Scotch when it's used singularly as a noun, or only
in a proper name situation: Let's have a scotch. I drink Scotch whisky and
Irish coffee. Thank you!

*A.* According to *CMOS*, 15th ed., 8.65,

Personal, national, or geographical names, and words derived from such
names, are often lowercased when used with a *nonliteral* meaning. For
example, "an excellent Swiss gruyère" refers to a cheese made in
Switzerland, whereas "swiss cheese" is an American cheese with holes in it.

Among the examples included at 8.65 is "scotch whisky." But in your example,
you are right to capitalize "Scotch" in "Scotch whisky" because you are
opposing "Scotch" to "Irish."
Personally, if the scotch is high enough quality, "you can call me Ray!"

Brad