[Rhodes22-list] Winter Cover - Harbor Freight tarp

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Tue Aug 15 15:47:52 EDT 2006

Elle,

I'm in Minnesota and last winter I had the boat in indoor storage but every
other year it's been outside.  I use the mast (IMF) as the ridge for a tarp
that covers the whole boat.  I take off the big mast crutch and rest the
mast on the stern rail with the other end of it resting on the bow pulpit.
That leaves a few inches of clearance between the mast and the hatch.  I use
a life jacket to support the mast there.  I remove the spreaders--or rather,
I disconnect them from the mast (one little screw holding the spreader into
a little cup-like mount) and just let them lay to the side so they don't
poke through the tarp.  I don't remove the sails.

Some, like Bill for one, don't tarp at all.  So long as your boat is well
tilted so water will drain at the stern, you'll probably be OK.  Freezing
and thawing in the cockpit will not do any damage but freezing and thawing
in the bilge might so be sure you have no leaks. But the boat obviously
stays a lot cleaner under cover.

If you had BOTHERED to check the archives, Elle, I wouldn't have to be
writing this.  This has taken all of 5 minutes of my precious time while you
could have found it in maybe five hours.  Please stop bothering us with
stuff that was already covered here on the list back in 2002!

(Kidding of course)

Cheers,

Slim