[Rhodes22-list] Winter Cover - Charles

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 15 15:52:44 EDT 2006

Thank you, Ed, for your input.  Although I understand I could leave the mast up, I'm concerned of leaving the mainsail (IMF) exposed versus removing it and maybe moving it inside along with the genoa for the winter.  I've ordered the tarp that Mike suggested because it is a good price and whether I use the mast or a substitute support pole, it should envelope the boat well.
      Your suggestion of moving south for the winter is attractive but I'm still working full time and I really don't think I could concentrate on my work if I knew my boat was in Florida waiting for me.
  RexH

Tootle <ekroposki at charter.net> wrote:

Charles,

This list has been around a few years. Mike's reference to the tarp
from Harbor Freight is current. In the past others have discussed tarps
from Northern Tool. Which ever, there have been previous discussions by
others either no longer on the list or no longer active on the list.
However, they have left tracks. You may have noticed my references to the
archives.
Mike's point about snow and ice has been discussed in detail before.
I do not currently need to get involved because Rummy and I leave our boats
in the water all year round. Others up north have found innovative ways to
store their boats and mast. Jerry has detailed one way. But others do not
take the mast off the boat, but use it in their covering scheme. Some have
made various supports and then drap the tarps over the supported mast to
make a tent like scheme. That allows them to occassionally go in and
inspect the boat. I recall a discussion of using pvc pipes attached to
sides and making a conestoga wagon style tent over the boat on a trailer.
So, a study of the archives might reveal some other ideas on how to deal
with the situation.
I noticed that Bob Skinner could write a lenthy discussion on another
topic, however, you might ask him for some specfics on the topic of winter
storage since he hibernates in the land of perpetual snow and ice. While
Mike has given you good advice based on years of good experience, others
have differing approaches worth investigating, since you are so inclined.
Have you considered becoming a snow bird? Tote your boat south for
the winter? Maybe one of the Florida guys has room for a second boat at his
dock? What is the saying, "Think out of the box?"

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum: http://www.mooringscarrabelle.com/marina.html

Sent from the Rhodes22 forum at Nabble.com.