[Rhodes22-list] Removing the main sail from the mast

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 15 21:11:22 EDT 2006

CJ --- thanks.  To re-assemble I assume you proceed backwards from this procedure but sliding the mast back down the furling tube --- isn't that a problem?  I presume its a rope sewn inside of the mainsail that slides down the tube --- is there a halyard on it like the genoa to let you pull it down?
  Rex

cjlowe <cjlowe at bright.net> wrote:
  Rex,
Mine is a '86 IMF Rhodes.To remove the sail I ---
1- Pull off the pop top slider
2- Tie a small cord on the furling line( 5 feet long) to thread it back through the boom on it's way back in.
3- Remove the boom from it's slider bracket,and leave the cord in the boom.
4- Pull slider bracket,furling line and furling tube out of the bottom of the mast. (you will need at least 25 feet of room in front of the bottom of the mast.)
5- Remove the screws that attach the sail to the furling tube,top and bottom.
6- Slide the sail out the top of the furling tube.
7- I'd slide the furling tube back in the mast for safe keeping,and throw the boom in the boat until I reassemble in the spring.