[Rhodes22-list] More motor choice questions

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Aug 16 11:33:24 EDT 2006

Bob Fletcher wrote:
> POWER - Is 6 HP enough for my plans?  I'm a little puzzled...
> Isn't hull speed relative to the water you're in, regardless
> of how fast that water is moving?

Yup.  The greater HP is useful when there
is a chop, and/or when the wind is against
you.  Ultimately, as my auto racing friends
say, "there is no substitute for cubic
inches."

> ... At a given speed, will the larger motor not working so
> hard be quieter than a smaller one?

Yes, up to a point.  Note that any O/B engine
to date (new technology is an improvement, but
not yet perfected, IMHO) will coke up if run
at 1/4 throttle or less for an extended period,
so there is little reason to go to more than
10 hp.

> REMOTE CONTROL - ... Wouldn't a port gunwale mounted unit me
> more "intuitive," (right hand on tiller, left controlling motor)?

It is more usual to have side-mounted controls
on the starboard side.  This could be a factor
if someone else has to operate your boat.

> RUDDER TO MOTOR LINK - ... Is the linkage really a big advantage?
> If so, has anyone cobbled together a link other than with Stan's
> UPP? Could it be as simple as a quick disconnect rod between the
> tiller and the motor "handle"? ...

Several lists speak of motor-rudder links.
They all (so far) recommend that if a link is
used, it ba attached to the rear top of the
motor housing, and that they be quick-
disconnect.  I have been tempted to build
such a link on my boats, but the project has
always sunk below others in priority, as the
basic setup works well so far.

--
Robert Skinner