[Rhodes22-list] Bridge Clearance

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Fri Aug 18 21:41:04 EDT 2006

Dave,
        There is the 3rd option.........It is called the Paradise Island
Option.

So called because I was delivery captain on a 41 foot Hylas from U.S.V.I. to
Ft. Lauderdale.  Part of the compensation package for myself and crew (my
brother, and my 16 year old son the 1 token adult on board) was that we
could take a month to deliver it.  So we visited every island and house of
libation between start and destination.  One sunny day, we wanted to go to
the south harbor in Nassau.  This entails passing under a bridge that
connects the main island of New Providence with the resort center of
Paradise island.. The bridge had something like 58 foot clearance at high
water.  I "knew" the boat had a standard rig a few feet shorter so that we
would pass under the bridge.  D'oh!

Once committed and with a strong following current in a narrow channel we
approached the bridge.  We were concerned when the people on the yachts tied
along the channel came out and began pointing and setting up folding chairs.
The next indicator was that the people on the bridge began walking, then
running off the bridge.  At about this time my son comes up with some paper
work that states that this boat had the desirable option of the "Tall Rig"!
Double D'oh!

Panic on their faces, the crew looked to their captain for guidance.  "Ok
guys" (or was it Argh maties?).  "We are either going to make it or we are
not, since we can't reverse in this strong current.  Now the mast will fall
to starboard (probably) if we hit.  So sit to port and most importantly look
relaxed and lean back and enjoy the show.  If we make it through I want
those vultures to think we knew exactly what we were doing."

We knew we were in real trouble when 20 feet from the bridge all the pigeons
began to fly frantically out from under the bridge.  To the syncopated sound
of the VHF antenna slapping the girders of the underside of the bridge, and
a confetti shower of old guano, we passed through with a great deal of
class, chuztpa and a very high pucker factor.

So in short Dave, when you go under the bridge at least look like you know
what you are doing!

Chris G
Medfore, OR