[Rhodes22-list] Bridge Clearance

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 10:16:09 EDT 2006

Chris,

Good tale!  I,ve got a friend here in Memphis (a tax attorney) who helped a
doctor friend move his boat from Pickwick Lake to Florida down the Tom
Bigbee.  During their 6 days of motoring they convinced themselves (with
some help from alcohol) that they were smart guys and could use some high
school algebra to figure out the exact degree of heel needed to pass the
bridge in Mobile rather than de-mast.  They hung the dink off the boom and
filled it with water until they got to the magic number of 11 degrees.  They
figured perfectly - for the mast.  The VHF antenna and wind sensor didn't
fare so well.

Your story reminds me of an old Navy pilot expression, "better to die than
look bad!".

Brad