[Rhodes22-list] CB Cleat - strong, permanent fix in blind space

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sat Aug 19 16:49:50 EDT 2006

Slim, I'm not sure of the exact situation that you describe,
but the following is a generic fix that you can adapt to
your circumstances.

The attached drawings show one method of dealing with a cleat
whose screws have pulled out of a fiberglass surface where the
open space under that surface is not easily accessible.

Drawing 1 shows the initial situation.  The cleat screws have
pulled out of the fiberglass, leaving two ragged holes.

Drawing 2 shows the preparation for the fix.  An oblong hole
has been cut in the fiberglass and the edges have been
beveled to improve adherence of a epoxy-fiberglass patch to
be applied later.  The edge of the hole is at least 1/2" and
optimally 1" away from the former screw holes.

Drawing 3 shows the marine plywood reinforcing block being
inserted thru the hole into the blind space.  Note that there
is a hole in the middle and a piece of small stuff is used to
control it.  The string will be used later to hold the block
in place while sealant sets up.

Drawing 4 shows the block being adhered in place, held up by
the string.  Any adhesive could be used, but I prefer 3M 5200.

Drawing 5 shows the epoxy-and-fiber filler in place, ready to
be sanded down and finish-coated (gel-coat, paint or epoxy).

Drawing 6 shows the finished repair with the cleat in place.

/Robert Skinner         Coordinates N43° 41.330', W70° 24.889'