[Rhodes22-list] Second Battery Installation

Julie Thorndycraft julie at circle7.net
Sun Aug 20 16:56:26 EDT 2006

On our former Rhodes, Blue Loon, we had two group 27 AGM batteries tied
together in parallel with very heavy duty battery cables. One battery was
located close to the v-berth, the second battery was port side, just inside
the cabin under the seat. I had to have a special cable made to connect them
together as the ready-made ones at West Marine or Boat US were too short. We
also had two solar panels that charged both and the motor would also charge
the batteries when it was running. We never ran out of juice, even when we
were out for three weeks, nor did we charge them other than the solar and
the motor. We would test usage after having the anchor light on all night
and never had a significant drop.

We also sailed with an emergency jumpstarter, just in case the batteries
went flat.

Julie

former owner S/V Blue Loon