[Rhodes22-list] Electric Trolling Motors

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Aug 22 19:50:33 EDT 2006

DCLewis1 at aol.com wrote:
> If my perceptions regarding electric trolling motors are  wrong
> (simple, compact, reliable), would someone with experience please
> correct  me.

I have not used a trolling motor on an R22, but have
extensive time using a trolling motor on a 15' sailboat.

Simple, compact, and generally reliable, yes.  But please
note the Amps draw on the motor you choose.  In my
experience, using a 28 lb thrust trolling motor on a 15'
boat, the draw was 15-30 Amps depending on throttle.

With bare poles, a 15 mph head wind was enough to stop me.
The wind drag on the R22 is significantly more, probably
double that of the little 15' boat, so I expect 7-10 mph
would be all you could handle.  Chop would reduce that
considerably.

That said, a troller would be OK for getting around a
calm anchorage or for limping to a safe anchorage, but I
wouldn't count on anything less than 100 lbs thrust for
an emergency with wind and chop.  That would give you
about 1/2 hour of push with a 100 Ah battery.

> I imagine if you had 30 lb thrust, and you were on a river, say the  Potomac,
> you could make 1/2 mi to shore.  I’m not thinking of going  up-river, or
> necessarily back to your slip, I’m thinking in terms of just  getting off the
> river and out of trouble. Any experience that would say that’s  wrong?

That could work if you crabbed across the tide.  I've
used the 28 lb thrust as an auxiliary on the Potomac,
sailing between WSM and Mount Vernon.  It is not enough
to fight the tide even on a small sailboat.

> Has anyone mounted an electric motor on the stern when there is already a
> rudder, swim ladder, and an OB with remote.  What I’m asking is, is there  room
> on the transom or does the electric prop conflict with the rudder?   I’ve
> eyeballed our transom, and I think there is room to fit the motor between  the
> swim ladder and the rudder in an emergency (I could be wrong about  that, I
> haven't actually done it), but I’m worried about chewing up the rudder  and the
> transom.

I've heard of one sailor who mounted a trolling moto on
his rudder post for use in quiet anchorages.  Might work.
No way to chew up the rudder that way, and steering would
be easy.  I've thought about doing that, but I'd have the
controls extended to the top of the tiller.

/Robert Skinner