[Rhodes22-list] Rudders-loss overboard

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Aug 23 00:20:53 EDT 2006

Right you are, Mike!

You're in shallow water in a rough sea.  A wave hits and suddenly you're
8 feet above the bottom.  Then it passes and your stern gets slammed
down toward a 2 foot high, uncharted rock.  Your rudder comes right down
on the rock.

Yup, it happened to me, and I was very happy when the rudder popped out
of the gudgeons.  Had it not, it might well have taken the transom off
the boat as Stan suggested, or at least yanked the gudgeons out of the
boat leaving below the waterline holes and no rudder if I wasn't holding on.

I have lost the rudder in various conditions, but I have a rule about
the rudder always being tied on or held by someone or something, so I
have never totally lost it.  (Pun intended.)

I don't like completely captive rudders--I think you lose the ability to
adjust in emergencies, and there will be emergencies.

My procedure for rudder emergencies is to bring the rudder completely on
board, (I find there is ample adrenaline produced in this situation to
accomplish this task single handed when required) lower the motor, and
steer with the motor shaft.  If you know how to loosen the tension on
the motor head you can steer all day while sailing and using only the
shaft until you get back home.  There is not enough steerage to come
about, you must gibe, but you can easily control the boat without the
rudder.

Bill Effros