[Rhodes22-list] Sculling oar? ?for Bob Fletcher ?for Bob Weber

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Aug 23 23:12:22 EDT 2006

Ed,

I have used the skulling method with the rudder, and it is
in no way adequate as emergency propulsion for 1/2 mile.
I have also used a regular paddle on a small sailboat to
skull, and it was much more efficient.

I'll stand by the use of a longer oar which can be knocked
down, requires little storage space, is light weight,
requires no battery, is cheap, and can be lashed to the
transom if pins or an oar lock are not already installed.

Now that I think of it, I might make an extention piece
for an off-the-shelf paddle some time just for the sake of
the experiment.  If, as, and when the spirit strikes me,
I'll share the results.

Others with experience with skulling oars might chime in
here.

/Robert Skinner