[Rhodes22-list] Rudders-loss overboard

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Fri Aug 25 19:36:47 EDT 2006

Per Elton's advice, I have one each on the upper and lower pintles.  I
replaced both this year after three seasons.  Rusty stains were widespread,
and they slipped when tightened.  The hose clamps came out of the parts bin
in Elton's van and did not look brand new when first installed.
Replacements were available at the local Ace Hardware. The grade of
stainless is perhaps questionable, but if they last the season, the cost is
modest.

Since the rudder is designed to kick up if it hits anything, unless you
ground at a mooring or at anchor, or while going astern, I am not clear on
what normal circumstance you would want it to pop out of the gudgeons.

Jim Connolly