[Rhodes22-list] Rudders-loss overboard - consensus?

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 19:09:02 EDT 2006

because of the kick up aspect of the rudder i tend to go with the hose clamp. the tiller and top section are what is being protected from loss. the rudder must be hit from exactly the right angle to lift the pintles and if hit at that exact angle will probably not be hit hard enough to lift the entire assembly before the rudder kicks out from under the tiller assembly. if it does not kick out the hose clamp resists the buildup of momentum for a split second and that split second is enough to keep the pintle from popping out. imho. john b

Robert Skinner <robert at squirrelhaven.com> wrote:  Rob Lowe wrote:
> Elle,
> As requested, here's a photo of my simple rudder loss preventer. A metal
> hose clamp around the upper pintle. - rob

It was suggested that it would be better NOT to secure the
rudder in the gudgeons, as Rob and I have (by different
means) -- that it would be best to have the rudder
secured to the transom with a lanyard, etc. so it could
come up out of its fastenings if it were to bump bottom.

What's your (each person on the list) method:

[] To lock in or

[] to lash loosely or

[] do nothing special?

/Robert Skinner