[Rhodes22-list] Winter Wax

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Dec 2 11:06:36 EST 2006

I also pulled my boat around Nov. 1, and was thrilled to do so.

I like to get a winter coat of wax on my boat, and really clean it up
before putting it away.  I like to visit my boat all winter, and try to
do all those little jobs that I can't get done when the other option is
sailing.

If I clean up my boat each fall, setting it up the following spring
takes a quarter of the time.

There are always nice days after Nov. 1, and I find I take great
pleasure in being out in them, taking care of all the little things that
bothered me when I was out on the water.

There are a couple of nice days each winter, and I go out to my boat
whenever the weather is nice to take care of things, sit on board,
straighten up, listen to the stereo, bask in the winter sun.  I no
longer empty my boat each fall, as I have removed most of the junk over
the years, and now have on board almost exclusively the stuff I want to
have on board.  It does not build up over the course of a season.

I leave batteries and water on board.  Not full tanks, due to expansion,
but enough to wash dishes and clean up.  I take soda cans off because
they will explode.  Never had any problems in this climate with this
procedure and it makes setting up the boat much simpler.  I remove my
rudder and motor only so they won't tempt kids.

If I want a longer season, I can put my boat into the water earlier.
The only real constraints are having weather warm enough to apply bottom
paint and wax.

Bill Effros