[Rhodes22-list] RE: Bilge Water and A "racing" Rhodes (and a questioon for Rummy)

bobmellor rhmello at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 21:38:10 EST 2006

David...

I had the some issues with my well used '80 I bought this past spring.  Both
a leaking cap (there was no gasket at all, just sealant of some type that
time had turned to slime) and leaks where the trunk was joined to the hull
at the bottom.

As Stan said, the clue is watching where the water comes out, not in.  In my
case, when I pulled the boat out of the water, the bilge drained completely,
indicating it was more than just the cap gasket (which should have left
water in the bilge up to the top of the trunk).  The leaky seam area stayed
wet and dripping much longer that the rest of the hull..  Probing the wet
area showed the "wallpaper peel" -  much more obvious when it is wet than
when dry.

I first removed the cap, cleaned everything well, re-sealed the pennant hose
fitting, replaced all hardware, replaced the rope, pennant hose and clamp
and put it back on with a gasket kit I got from Stan.

"Wallpaper that has come loose from the wall" is an excellent description of
the bottom leak.  Peeling the edge of the "wallpaper" back began to reveal
spots where the seam between the trunk and hull were open 1/8th of an inch
or more, allowing water to flow in and out of the hull pretty freely.  I let
it dry out, then ground out all along and inside the edges of the open
seams.  I forced thickened epoxy in the openings as I could, then added a
couple of layers of glass tape and epoxy along the seams.

(one very helpfull hint.. if doing epoxy work laying on your back under a
trailered boat make sure you don't rest the back of your head in whatever
you have the uncured epoxy in (such as a plastic picnic plate)... BIG
mistake.)

Lastly, Inside the hull, I replaced some disintegrated concrete around the
trunk, let it dry, and sealed that area all up with some epoxy and glass.

I'm learning as I go (with a lot of help from this info on this list, West
System epoxy guides, and Don Casey's books).  But so far limited in-water
testing has shown the bilge to remain dry as a bone.

Before I paint in spring, i will need to make sure everything is completey
dry...

Takes a bit bit of work, but you can get it sealed up.

(rummy... seems that have experience with this issue...  any suggestions or
additional work I should do before i finish it all up?  I for sure do not
want to have to do this again.)

Bob Mellor