[Rhodes22-list] RE: Bilge Water and A "racing" Rhodes (and a questioon fo...

bobmellor rhmello at aol.com
Tue Dec 5 15:25:15 EST 2006

rummy

actually, been there done that....

i thought i was done and started to put it together and get on to some
sailing... i went to put the centerboard back in when I found the bottom of
the port side slot was smashed thru... depressing to say the least.

i ground out around the damaged area and dug out any loose concrete, leaving
a small pocket behind the trunk area where the damage was.  Built the pocket
back up with coloidal thicked epoxy.  I then made a form the shape and depth
of the slot opening using double thickness of some lefterover lexan wrapped
tightly w/ wax paper (for release).  Put more thickened epoxy in the slot
then pushed the form into the thickened epoxy to shape the slot.  Looks
good, and worked fine in one brief afternoon in the water.  I just hope it
holds in the long run.

I am wondering if I should form some glass over the repaired slot for more
strength.. I bought some biaxial glass for that purpose if I decide to do
it... from what I have read the biaxial should be able to make the needed
bends better than regular glass....  What do you think?

I did discover one obscure thing doing this...  I had made a new pin and
made it fit real snug....   when i put it in the water there was a "thud"
when I lowered/raised the board.  Deep in the archives i found that the pin
needs to be free to move up and down in that when the board approaches
horizontal the whole board, pin end as well, lifts up a few inches.  Live
and learn.

While frustrating at times, the amount of work I am doing is a tremendous
learning experience...  I am really getting to know the boat inside and out.
Currently, everything that can come out of the boat is out.  I need to
replace the two center stringers and the starboard side stringer/cabinet
base.  I am trying to find out if they should be put back in with the boat
on the water, on the trailer, on a cradle, hanging by the eyes, or?

So far I've
Ground out and repaired a leaking existing patch on the lower bow.
Ground out and repaired the port side trunk/hull seam.
Ground out and repaired the port side slot, reshaped the worn starboard
slot.
Stripped. ground out and repaired minor damage on centerboard
replaced/rebedded all centerboard/trunk/cap hardware, gasket, pennant tube,
rope
replaced damaged ballast concrete around the trunk and in the forward areas.
Sealed the bilge floor ballast in the cabin around the trunk and reinforced
the ballast/trunk joints with epoxy/glass.
Gutted the cabin, removed the rotted 2 center stringers and the starboad
stringer.
removed ports for repair or replacement
replaced the old wiring
bought a new honda 9.9 four
bought a new heavy duty motor bracket
rebedded most hardware
rebedded cockpit drains, replaced hioses

to do:
make sure keel is dry... get a moisture meter?
strip bottom coat
check/repair bottom seam of port trunk/hull
new bottomcoat
replace stringers - on water / trailer / cradle / hanging ????
renew/replace/reassemble cabin parts.
replace missing stern rail (will need trip to GBI for that one.)
repair or replace trailer?
replace/repair ports
finish rebedding any remaining hardware
etc....

Soon getting bigger doors on my garage.. hopefully I can just fit the boat
in so I can heat it up for remaining epoxy work (it gonna be a close fit)

So.... only been in the water twice so far.  Once to quickly discover it was
a VERY leaky boat, and once with motor only to test out repairs (bilge
remained dry as a bone).  This summer I might actually learn how to really
sail this thing.  I'm sure it will be worth it all.  I figure I'll have this
a couple of years, learn to sail on it, then go for recycle or new.  (as
indicated in original intro to the list, I crewed for a buddy for 2 months
on a 37" C&C from stamford connecticut to west palm to the abacos, but
mostly destination passagemaking, motor/motorsailing .. not much real
"sailing" for sailings sake.  So I'm sure I have a lot to learn to really
sail a smaller boat - probably be wiae take some lessons.)

Bob M