[Rhodes22-list] Found= Gales of November/New link

Jim White lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 13:02:50 EST 2006

In review...there's lots of typos....guess I'm still sorta freaked out!
  ;-)
  jw

Jim White <lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Does anyone know where the love of God goes....
When the waves turn the minutes to hours.

Last week we had our own barge incident. Only this one happened in dead calm conditions. The vessel in question was attempting to cross under the only causeway linking the Island to the mainland. Tides were changing, the current was swift, and the tugboat/barge smashed into a barrier dolphin...nothing major see: http://spislandbreeze.com/news_more.php?id=2166_0_2_0_C

Fortunately, no structure damage was done.

However, having lived here during the 2001 devistating causeway collapse caused by a barge strike, in which 8 people died when their cars plunged off of the 60' high span (including a friend of mine), we were all a bit freaked out!

Especially, since this incident occurred at 1630, and my kids were aboard a van headed to the island to (across the causeway). It took me about an hour or so in all of the caos to locate them, and of course there was little information at that time...I was nervewracked

....As well as stranded on the Island. Fortunately some of the local head boats volunteered to run shuttle over to the mainland, and I hopped aboard "Murphys Law" and was soon greeted by my family, much to all of our collective reliefs...The causeway subsequnetly reopened about an hour later.

It took more than several rums to settle my nerves.

jw

Steven Alm wrote:
The legend lives on from the chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called "Gitche Gumee"
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty.
That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
When the "Gales of November" came early.

On Dec 14, 2006, at 9:47 AM, R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:

> _http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-39/
> 1166012941313
> 990.xml&storylist=newsmichigan_
> (http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-39/
> 1166012941313990.xml&storylist=newsmichigan)

Jim White

S/V Le Menagerie
Rhodes 22
www.lemenagerie.blogspot.com