[Rhodes22-list] Mac 26x or 26M vs. Rhodes 22

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Dec 19 13:48:45 EST 2006

Ruben,

I've taken a demo sail on a 26M in light winds and have two friends with
26Xs.  I've sailed on one of those 26Xs in winds of about 15 knots,
which I'm guessing is about the highest wind that will still allow you
to tack (vs. jibe).

I've spent a lot of time researching 26Xs and 26Ms, and had seriously
considered purchasing one.  Anyone who says a MacGregor is not a real
sailboat has a very limited definition of a sailboat, and has likely
never sailed a MacGregor.  Unfortunately, most sailors will tell you
that a MacGregor is not a real sailboat; that it sails terribly; and is
a piece of junk.  I don't believe any of that is completely true.

My opinions to your questions:

  1. Boat built to last, ie. solid fibreglass on the hull, low
maintenance

The Rhodes22 is built like a tank compared to the MacGregor.
MacGregor's quality is barely acceptable, but it is acceptable.  Under
normal conditions, it doesn't break.  I've beat the heck out of my
Rhodes22.  Had I purchased the MacGregor, I am convinced I would have
certainly damaged the rub rail against docks; would have probably fallen
the mast in a storm that I should not have been in; and may have damaged
the hull when going HARD aground.  If you don't break anything on either
boat, I would assume that maintenance would be similar.

  2. Self bailing

Both boats are self-bailing.  The MacGregor's open transom makes it more
self-bailing.  I've had waves flow into the Rhodes22's cockpit and it
self-bails quickly enough.  The closed transom and lazarette are
definitely nicer, and it might prevent a following wave from entering
the cockpit.

  3. Positive floatation

Both boats have it and I assume they are about the same.  I hope to
never find out.

  4. Roomy - livable for extended period

The MacGregor's cabin is definitely more roomy and in my opinion nicer,
in a cheaper way.  The Rhodes' cabin has some features that are nicer
and more practical.  The Rhodes' cockpit is significantly bigger and
better than the MacGregor's.  Think about where you'll spend most of
your time.

  5. trailer-able

With the manufacturer's help, I've assisted in raising the mast and
launching the Rhodes twice.  Raising the mast on a MacGregor is easier;
launching is slightly easier in some circumstances; trailering might be
easier (weight); but not so much that I'd pick a MacGregor over a
Rhodes.

  6. roomy and can walk around the deck

Even though a MacGregor is 4' longer, the Rhodes deck is much easier to
walk around and the cockpit is far larger.

  7. would like to sail on the ocean

Rhodes over MacGregor, but you should look for a bluewater boat if
you're going frequently or far offshore.

  8. light and fast up and down find

MacGregor is somewhat easier to mast and launch; the Rhodes sails
better.  See question #5.

  9. Can be launched and retrieved  from ramp

Applies to both.  See question #5.

  10. Can be beached like the Mac

The MacGregor draws less draft, so you might be able to get slightly
closer to the shoreline, but in most cases you'll still probably get
your feet a little wet.  I'd feel more comfortable running aground
(beaching) with the excess fiberglass on the hull of a Rhodes.

Don't forget that you can stick a 50hp motor on the back of a MacGregor.
The waterskiing marketing is a bit much, but there are times when
zipping along at 20mph would be nice.

So why did I pick a Rhodes over a Mac?  Sails better.  Cockpit
significantly better.  Much better built.  Didn't want other sailors
laughing at me.

Good luck with your choice.  The Mac outsells the Rhodes by about forty
to one; primarily because it's so cheap, and primarily to first-time
boat owners.  All those people can't be wrong.  It really depends upon
what you want in a boat.  You might want to check-out resale value.

Lee

Rhodes22  At Ease

Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)