[Rhodes22-list] Tom's Quest for the perfect spot...

Tatflies at cs.com Tatflies at cs.com
Tue Dec 19 18:47:02 EST 2006

Thanks Ed,

As the President of my local Park District, it is clear that politics is a
challange even on a micro level. Congress is definately not in the cards for me.
However, I will continue to support the preservation of our rural areas. The
latest "smart growth" principles indicate more dense housing and more open
space. Sprawl is good for no one.

The local governments who appreciate the added tax base of new housing are
usually short sighted. The costs for supporting the new development quite often
outweigh the increased revenues. Referenda are commonplace around here to
support schools, municipalities, parks, libraries, fire departments, police, etc.

My advice is to apply some water to the fire that seems to always be raging
in the belly's of the developer's! Slow it down and analyze the long term
effects of growth. Analyze the value of undisturbed shorelines. Analyze the value
of trees, water and open land.

I am not an economist, however I do like natural settings. Government
protection of open space seems essential to keep it open.

btw, we have looked at many lakes so far, and we will continue to search for
nirvana. Something will appear.

Tom T.