[Rhodes22-list] Global Warming, was autopilot

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 08:10:14 EST 2006

Slim,

Al's message is probably the right medicine but for the wrong disease.
Thirty years ago we faced the coming ice age, now we're warming.  No one in
academics gets funding for conclusions that don't agree with the scare de
jour, global warming.  We really don't know and neither does Mr. Gore.
However, we do need to find alternate sources of fuel for transportation.
Hydrocarbon emmissions are not good for the environment (just breathe in LA
or Beijing) and the largest sources of crude oil are not friendly to
Westerners.  What Mr. Gore wants is for us to change our behavior out of
fear of something we can't see, that's like religion.  People will only
change their habits when the price of fuel forces them to, that's economics.
The nations that joined the Kyoto treaty have failed miserably at meeting
their targets.  We, (the US) on the other hand, have actually cut our
emmisions.  Don't forget about those two billion or so Indians and Chinese
who dream of burning as much fuel as us filthy Americans.  Price is all that
will make people change their way of living and encourage businesses to hunt
for alternatives.

Brad