[Rhodes22-list] Blind Dog Advice

thenacarville at bellsouth.net thenacarville at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 27 16:10:27 EST 2006

Brad,
We had an older dog that was blind for the last few years of his life...it did not slow him down much...if you simply work with her and for a little while treat her like you are her "seeing eye persons" you will be amazed at how fast she can learn almost any drill...go slowly on the stairs with her and talk to her while you guide her....talk her through anything you want her to do and she is likely to amaze you....most people did not know our dog was blind...sometimes I think he forgot....only new situations/places throw them off....once she "adjusts" to her new circumstances, and uses her other senses a tad more than before, she will be beating you to bed...you will have to adjust a little and keep your eyes open for her and do a little more talking to her, but if that is the only sign of old age, you will find it not so bad...good luck....I would love to know how she does over the next couple of weeks....sounds like a real sweetie....
Thena