[Rhodes22-list] International Email; reply to Rummy

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Feb 1 10:21:12 EST 2006

Rummy:
	Some international email works fine.  Remember that I was in Ukraine
and not Russia.  Ukraine and especially western Ukraine wants out from the
Russian Bear.
	Email address that end in the suffix .ua which is the code for
Ukraine work fine.  However many in Ukraine still must route their
communications thru Russia, which ends in .ru. The email addresses that end
in .ru do not work in USA. MJM spotted the reason immediately.  That is some
countries are blocked because of SPAM.
	However, this stops legitimate email users.  MJM suggested trying
Yahoo, which I am attempting to do.  So far, after two email using Yahoo,
they have not bounced.  However, I have not received a reply yet.

	Looking back, Michael has a point.  There is one person in Rivne,
Ukraine that used a Yahoo email that worked, so this may be an answer.  Or,
if they use Yahoo it may not be a problem.  Again, I can communicate to some
anyway just not those who use service going thru Russia.
	Keep in mind that there are many who are building successful
internet      access businesses in the Ukraine.  However, they charge money.
Many of      those who I am attempting to communicate with have to use local
public      access, or very inexpensive methods left over from the days of
the big      bear.
	Also, the independent providers are moving aggressively.  When I
went over, my host was Ternopil State Medical University (TSMU).  They were
very proud of their web site.  I told Dr. Kovalchuk, the head of the
University that the site was good and he had very competent computer
personnel. However, at that time in the USA, it took several minutes just to
load the home page.   I showed him the baud rate he was using.  I had met
with a local independent provider of internet access and had measured his
baud rate at the incoming server.
	He looked at the speed and said that the problem was going to be
solved in  6 to 8 weeks.  They were laying optical cable to his servers and
would have optical service speed then.  In fact he knew how many kilometers
of optical cable were installed each day.
	Obviously, both he, that is the internet provider and Kovalchuk were
on the same page.  A couple of months later, TSMU became a fast access site.
See:  http://www.tdma.edu.te.ua/english/data/general/common.php/
or: www.ternopilmedicalacademy.com/
	The home page that takes seconds now, took about 15 minutes last
year this time.  Also, Kovalchuk was over here in May, I was able to send
his staff video clips taken in Greenville of him meeting here.
	If you know of anybody who wants to go to a foreign medical school,
have them contact me and I can arrange an introduction to the admissions
staff for TSMU.   It is a competent medical school in need of students.  At
one time they got students from the whole Soviet Union, but get fewer from
Russia today.  They use the European method of study and now recruit
students from all over the world.
	Another interesting thing is that the Ukraine is going into
elections again.  They will elect every political level, from Parliament to
local.  So expect to hear occasional news reports on that subject.
If you know anybody who wants to go as a tourist, again I have contacts.
And I emphasis my contacts are honest who want Ukraine to be seen in the
best way.  I would say that the costs are very reasonable.  Also, Lvov, in
western Ukraine has a long history that most of us never heard of.  See:
http://www.franko.lviv.ua/
	Again, my problem is only certain email addresses, not all.

Ed K
Greenville, SC USA