[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Long Island Sound

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Feb 2 11:13:06 EST 2006

Nick,

I'm in Greenwich.

You want an 8 hp for these waters.  9.9 doesn't make any difference, but
I would probably get the 9.9 Tohatsu 4 stroke in your situation, also.
(You need the power only for motoring into a headwind--it doesn't happen
that often, but when it does you are happy to have enough power on board
to keep you moving forward.)

IMHO you are foolish to not get the electric starter.  Together with the
solar panels it is all you need to keep your batteries fully charged all
the time.  It returns more power to the battery than it withdraws in
starting.  The extra weight is significant only when carrying it--it
makes no difference on the boat, and that engine is lighter than most
other 4 stroke engines.  As a safety factor, the engine can be started
by anyone on board in case you are incapacitated or fall overboard.  (I
highly recommend the Tohatsu Remote Control which can be mounted on the
stern rail and offers key starting of an electric start Tohatsu.).

My wiring and remote controls run in the rain channels under my cockpit
cushions.  No hassle to connect or detach (I take everything off my boat
in the winter) -- nobody really notices they are there, or that they are
external and not tied down to anything.

The boat is hard to steal in this configuration, and the motor won't run
without the key.  Sure, you can put it back together, but you can't just
pull the handle and fire it up.

I just (and I mean "just"-- the motor is still in the back of my pickup)
retrieved my 14 year old 8 hp Tohatsu 2 stroke motor from Twinhull
Marine in Bridgeport.  I have put less than 100 gallons of gas through
it in those 14 years, and this was its first tune up.  It still had the
original spark plugs.  I only brought it in because I sheared the
mechanism that holds on the prop during an anchoring experiment last
summer.  It always started right away.  They say they are sure it will
be good as new for another 14 years.  My motor weighs less than 60 lbs.
and I can carry it alone.  It is easy to lift on the R-22 motor mount.

Before I understood how minimal the damage was, I was planning to get
the 9.9 4 stroke Tohatsu with electric start as a replacement.  The only
thing that interested me in the 4 stroke is the quietness of the
engine.  I plan to do more motor cruising down to NYC in the coming
years, so I will have to hear, or not hear, my engine more.  I have
dampened the sound with expensive sound control materials inside the
cowling (these engines are water cooled, not air cooled so it doesn't
make any difference) and have substantially reduced the sound coming
from the engine, but it is still clearly louder than the quietest
4-strokes, of which the Tohatsu is one.

The added weight of the 4-stroke is a concern to me, too.  I like that I
can move my engine without help.

If you had an interest in my engine I would think about selling mine to
you and getting the quieter 4-stroke.  I'm not saying I would do it, but
I would think about it, and let you know.

This is the best way I can show you how happy I am with my existing
motor, and which motor I might someday get.  On the other hand, I have
discovered new sound-proofing materials that I am anxious to try, and
plan to install this year--if this works I would sooner keep my trusty
old motor.

Bill Effros