[Rhodes22-list] Engine choice: Long Island sound

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Feb 2 11:43:31 EST 2006

David,

As noted previously, I have not changed the spark plugs in my 14 year
old Tohatsu, ever, until this year.  I only hope the new ones work as
well as the old.

I never use fogging oil.  In fact, I don't understand the point in 2
stroke engines.  4 strokes can run dry if they are left upright and the
oil on the cylinder walls flows back into the crankcase over time.  When
they are started for the first time the pistons operate in an oil-less
environment until the cylinder walls are again coated with oil.  The
fogging oil puts oil on the walls during the start-up.  2 stroke gas has
oil in it.  Effectively it is the fogging oil, and it is there with
every crank of the engine no matter how long it has been since that
engine was started up.

When an R-22 outboard is stored high on the motor mount, gas in the hose
flows back toward the gas tank.  This creates an air bubble somewhere in
the line.  The Tohatsu will almost always start with the gas left inside
the engine if the engine was stopped using the kill button.  However the
air bubble may cause the engine to subsequently stall out.  I always
pump the bulb with the engine in the water to move the air bubble to a
place where it will let fuel pass through.  Then the motor starts right
away, and doesn't subsequently stall out.

While the motor will usually start without the choke, it will always
start with the choke when it is cold.  I think you are confusing the air
bubble in the line with an over-choked motor.  I turn off the choke
immediately after the engine starts, and never use it again once the
engine is warm.

I use what would be considered an extremely lean gas/oil mixture.  The
test is simple.  If I can smell it, it's too rich.  There is no smoke
from my exhaust, and no smell.  It always idles in place for a few
minutes while warming up, as I go forward to cast off lines--so I can
smell the state of my engine.

The mechanic who worked on my engine told me it was clean as a whistle,
and had great compression.  My lean mixture didn't hurt the engine, and
helped the environment.  They would have bought my engine if I wanted a
new one.  They put used Tohatsus taken as trade on all their work boats.

I never throw out "old" gas.  We hear this every year from people who
can't start their engines.  I suspect the real culprit around here is
ethanol in summer gas.  That gas won't burn.  Buy gas for your boat in
the winter time, and keep it forever.  Mixed lean with oil it will
always start in a 2 cycle engine.

BTW -- please put your comments on top.

Bill Effros.