[Rhodes22-list] batteries and shore power socket

Tootle (sent by Nabble.com) lists at nabble.com
Fri Feb 3 05:23:24 EST 2006

      Peter said, "A friend's Tanzer 26 has a shorepower inlet (outlet?) inside the cockpit
sidepocket.  It keeps the plug end out of the weather and it's also out of
sight.  Has anyone ever seen a Rhodes wired that way?  Can it be done on a
R22 with the fancy secret balcony pocket?"
      My 1984 has an AC shore plug inside the cockpit line storage place, which I presume that you are calling a 'pocket'.  Good term to describe the place if that is what you referring to.  I did not do the wireing.  It came that way thru recycle.  I can take a marine AC power and go from the shore box and plug it into the 'pocket' recepticle which has the correct end, i.e., a socket with a male plug.  This leads directly to two standard AC plug inside the cabin.  One is by the counter/galley and the other is by the port v-berth battery.  I can stash a battercharger up front and plug it into the socket right there.  I did not install this setup.  I only use one battery and use pull start for the motor.  About twice a year, I bring my car battery charger to the dock and top off the battery.
       Such a plug recepticle would not be hard to install and wire.  Any thin guy with long arms could do it.  You would not have to run a wire up front like in my boat.  Just a basic socket somewhere by the galley.
        After several attempts, I was unable to see your PDF.  Were you able to see it?  Make Raven into a substation?  Does that mean that you are going to replace the mast with a steel one, add a mizzen mast and run power lines?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA