[Rhodes22-list] Art's BR

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 4 14:06:17 EST 2006

Bill,

I have used SS Wire threaded thru stiff curtain border on the top so that there is a distinct overlap with the top.  It could be done with zipper, but surely not sewn.  The curtains want to be easily removable from the top, zippers could break  or jam, if sewn they would not detach.  When detached you have the shade from the top frame to enjoy.

Frame tubes should be kept in the Sunbrella hems.

SS, not threaded or desired for a couple of reasons.  Threaded SS is sharp and cuts hands.  The SS fasteners are screw-tightened to the tube circumference and are the best possible hold.  They stay attached to the SS tubes, anyway, whether the top is up or down.

Used about two years.  I have done this with smaller frames also, I like the functionality of this size the best.

My design is my own.  As I mentioned in an earlier email, If a longer (than 6') is desired, one or more cross tubes could be added to maintain rigidity, simple and not a problem, BUT is it really necessary?  Carry the 1'+ overage on the front forward and it will meld with the poptop.  Given that we would not need to use the deck area between PT and Mast, why do we need to top it?  It the cover is snapped or velcro fastened to the PT, don't we gain clear front vision thru the PTE windows?  Maybe when you want to move the boat on a chilly day, maybe with auto-tiller and the kicker?

I have made this myself as I have the equipment and knowledge a commercial outfit would have to learn.  Frankly, I also prefer my own quality control and enjoy it.

I tell you, Bill, everyone who has put into this dialogue will help to define the ultimate BRE, a big plus.  I haven't discovered any problems with my BR design yet, but I am confident you will come up with something...
Salud,
Art