[Rhodes22-list] Tent camping, backpacking, & Rhodes 22

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Feb 6 08:24:39 EST 2006

Bill Effros said "Overnighting on this boat is nothing like camping out
(which I gave up 50 years ago).  And I always book nice hotel rooms--as I
have often joked on this list, a Motel-6 is a lot more comfortable than a
million dollar sailboat--

	While this statement is certainly true, it misses an important
aspect of tent camping or using the Rhodes 22 as a tent on water.
Specifically, there are places where there are no motels.  Why would you
want to stay where there are no motels?
	Ask Chris about the motels in the Gulf of Baja.  Maybe the
Chesapeake Rodies know of a few quite obscure coves.  Ask Bill W if his trip
to the outer banks had motels at every place he stopped.
     During weekends of July and August, why does every obscure cove on Lake
Hartwell have a boat of some sort on a hook?  As things work, after dragging
a Rhodes to a new lake for some new water sailing, will everyone have left
over cash after paying for gas to pay for even a motel six?
    	Let me review the outer banks.  Bill E have you ever been to Cape
Lookout?  The only way to get there is by water.  Yes there are daily trips
by ferries.  However, they are day time things and there are not motels or
resorts out there.  Not only that, there is no decent drinking water.  There
are several Islands from Okracoke to Cape Lookout and around to the
Shackleford Banks.  Many miles of beach with surf breaking, gulls fishing,
sea shells, and few people.  Tent camping, the kind that you tote on your
back or boats are the only way to stay over.
	You mentioned sailing the keys.  You and your son(s) ought to spend
a few days along this coast.  The weather is ok from April on.  A walk out
on Cape Lookout is just something you owe your sons.  Think of it as
'obligation'.
	I suspect you would survive roughing it on a boat for a couple of
days and unfortunately might even want to do it again.

	For starters see:
http://www.nps.gov/calo/openhouse.htm

http://www.icw-net.com/

http://www.capelookoutferry.com/