[Rhodes22-list] BR Cost

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Mon Feb 6 09:39:23 EST 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen:

    I appreciate your collective efforts re the boom room project.  Thanks
to those suggesting otherwise but we do not feel compensation in any form is
due us - our reward is to be able to have a sensational option available for
under $1,000 ($995 will do) that makes the Rhodes an even more saleable
product.

    As aesthetic minded as we normally are, we nevertheless understand that
to come in under 1K, aesthetics should take a back seat. This will work
since it is one option that mostly gets used when few are around to judge
its beauty.  It is also an option that will be used less than the buyer
planned on using it so it being made from the very best materials possible,
hang the cost, should not be in the mix if it really is to be retailed as a
1K break even option.

    Further, out thinking is that it should be designed for stand alone use
and not reliant on already having a pop top enclosure or bimini.   And, of
course, in keeping with Rhodes design thinking, it should be as versatile as
possible.  The two opposed approaches of low cost and total versatility can
be achieved by having the basic fully enclosed model available for the 1K
and the versatility of interchangeable screened and clear panels available
as options for this BR option.  I built a contemporary housing community in
Tarrytown NY using this approach and it worked.  The basic house could be
moved into and family living started as purchased for $30K (this was a long
time ago - today our houses' resales start at one million) or modular panels
could be added to increase size or window area and styling.  The price
brought lots of young advertising and medical professionals from the city
and then they brought their parents to see and help spring for the extra
panels cost.  Slim's was one of the first BRs we made and I think the best
of our various design attempts.

    Keep up the good work.  You are on the right track.  The boom can be
used upside down for one solution and rightside up for another.  The topping
lift takes out sagging as do ties to the stays.  (the aft lower shrouds get
disconnected when using the BR and the control end of the toping lift line
is redirected straight down the mast so no openings are needed through the
top "roof" panel. Light weight Dacron can be water treated and redone with a
spray can by an owner periodically if needed so Dacron should be considered
because of lower cost and ease of storage.

    The key is the frame.  There is a new generation of tube framing with
interior shock cords that might be the answer?  Good luck.

    stan, EC