[Rhodes22-list] PTE Question

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Feb 22 08:44:32 EST 2006

Wally,

I would guess there are different PTEs and different regions of the
country with different problems.

My PTE also has a screened rear flap.

Here on Long Island Sound there is almost always a breeze in the
evening, while land and water temperatures are equalizing.  I have
opening side ports.  Between the opening ports and the dorade on the
bow, I get all the fresh air I need at night, in fact we frequently
close the side windows to keep too much cool night air from coming in.
We control the amount of air inside the PTE with the rear window,
rolling it up and down as needed..

In the course of an average year we get maybe 10 brutally hot summer
nights, and I simply don't go out on my boat on those nights because
it's not fun.

I've never tried it, but you could always stern anchor on hot nights and
let the breeze come in through the rear flap, and out the sides.  If
you've got no breeze at all, I don't think it matters if you have front
screens or not.  The screened portion of the PTE is not as strong as the
fabric and sewn in window parts.

Bill Effros