[Rhodes22-list] R22 Instrumentation

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 09:24:20 EST 2006

Dave,

I am speaking from limited experience as my boat is just ahead of yours on
the "assembly line"..., but I chose not to cut any holes in the bulkhead
until I spend some time using the boat.

For $100 I got a hand-held depth finder that will do for feeling my way into
coves and channels but I realize will do no good in unanticipated shallows.

For $80 plus a $20 bracket I got a Ritchie compass that I'll be able to
quickly attach to the stern rails.  For that money I could put one on each
side, which would actually put it in line with the captain's seats.  The
bracket screws on quickly with a thumbscrew, so I can remove the compass
easily if desired.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a wireless depth finder display unit.  If I can
find one, I'll probably put a puck-sytle sounder inside the hull and mount
the display near the tiller.

On 2/25/06, DCLewis1 at aol.com <DCLewis1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We are in the midst of trying to get our R22 equipped while it's still at
> GBI and the matter of instrumentation has come up.   The purpose of  this
> Email
> is to solicit input regarding what works.
>
> Our current plan is to have a depth finder (Humminbird Mk17?) and bulkhead
> compass mounted on the exterior cabin wall.  Questions:
> - Both  instruments seem to me to be far from the tiller.  In your
> experience
> can  you meaningfully use instruments mounted on the cabin (I realize this
> may be a  function of your farsightedness, but any input is welcome.).
> In
> particular, would a hand held compass be more useful than a
> bulkhead  compass?
> If you like a bulkhead compass, any specific recommendations  regarding
> models
> and types?
> - If these instruments are mounted  on the exterior, how do you keep them
> from walking away?  Has anyone had a  problem in this regard?
> - I understand the Mk17 has a bezel that facilitates  mounting.  I also
> think
> the Mk17 has a 1 year warranty that the display  will be waterproof.  But
> for
> the long term, how do you keep the Humminbird  (or any other) depth
> finder/GPS display secured and out of the weather when the  boat's
> secured?  I haven't
> identified a cap that would keep the sun and  precip off it and/or secure
> it
> - have I missed something?  I gather there  are a number of Humminbird
> users
> on the board, what do you do?  I believe  there are caps for bulkhead
> compasses, that protect them from the weather, and  provide some security,
> it that what
> you use?
>
> I'm inclined to use a hand held GPS, just because it will be closer
> to  me.
> Also, it will be easily secured and I can take it home to program
> way  points
> etc.  The same GPS could act as a compass.  The alternative is  to use the
> Humminbird depth finder with a GPS driver - they make one - or  another
> bulkhead
> mounted GPS system.  The Humminbird will have a larger  display, but at
> the
> front of the cockpit.  Again, I'm not sure the  Humminbird can be secured
> or
> kept out of the weather, and I don't think it will  be a simple matter to
> take it
> home to program a course, way points, etc.   Has anyone considered these
> trades and come to a decision as to the way to  proceed.  Better yet, does
> anyone
> have experience with hand held vice  bulkhead mounted GPS displays.
>
> Thanks for any input.

> [...]

David Bradley
203.253.9973
dwbrad at gmail.com