[Rhodes22-list] R22 Instrumentation

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun Feb 26 12:42:30 EST 2006

Dave, Rick, Michael, Will,  Ed, Mary Lou,  Russ, everyone who  responded,
thank you for responding to my request for info regarding  instrumentation.

One theme that appears to run through many of the responses is that reading
instruments, esp the compass, from the back of the cockpit can be a problem -
as  in, get a large compass.  A second theme is that some put much more $ into
 nav aids than others - local sailing requirements vary.

Regarding compasses, putting a somewhat smaller Richie compass on a bracket
closer to the stern seems like an interesting option, it’s close so it should
be  easily readable.  But unless you’re looking down on it will there be a
problem reading it?  That is, if you’re sailing north and the compass is
aligned with the keel of the vessel the compass card will point to north, but if
the compass is at eye level and you’re reading the compass from the side in the
cockpit, you’ll see east or west, assuming you’re offset 90o.  Am I right
about this, or is there a way to substantially offset the compass card?   Are
you basically going to have to get on top of that compass to read it?

If the compass card can’t be offset then a large bulkhead mount might be  the
only way to go, or mount it on a slat.  But it’s a long way from the  back of
the cockpit to the aft cabin wall and monitoring a compass heading might  be
a problem.  Perhaps the easiest cure is a tiller extension - get a large
compass and get closer to it.

Regarding a wireless depth finder: In poking around I discovered Humminbird
makes a PiranhaMax 30 that’s wireless.  I have no idea how well it works,  it
looks to me like a PDA display.  The ads don’t say it gives velocity,
distance traveled, etc, so it may not have all the desirable bells &  whistles, but
it might give depth.

It's still not clear to me how you protect the electronic products  from the
weather and secure them, over the long term.  I understand they  are
waterproofed and weather proofed, but they are above all electronic, so over  the long
term I'd like to keep any display out of the weather to the  maximum extent
possible.  Also, I'd like to be able to secure it at  the end of the day.  I
understand how that's done with the Lowrance, but  not the Tridata or Humminbird
products.  It's a concern.

Regarding GPS, it seems like a mixed bag.  It seems a chart  plotter is a
goal, but it’s expensive and might walk away.  Also, if it’s  at the front of
the cockpit visibility likely will be a problem, if your  sailing a close course
unless a tiller extension will let you get closer to  it.  As with the depth
finder,  I’m not sure how you’d protect some of  the products, like the
Humminbird, from weather over the long term. I’m not sure  a handheld, or even a
laptop GPS system wouldn’t be enough to help you find  your way home in the fog,
several responders use handhelds successfully.  I  may wait on this and go
with a hand held or laptop for the near  term.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Dave