[Rhodes22-list] R22 Instrumentation

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Mon Feb 27 10:44:06 EST 2006

Dave,
Bill and I disagree on the value of depthfinders. They are NOT necessary
but they sure are nice for navigation (the difference between 6 ft. of
water and 10 ft of water can be an important bit of info when navigating
the Chesapeake - not because you might run aground in either but because if
you are following a depth contour around a point you'll know when you've
strayed from your course). We also use them for scoping out anchorages,
finding shortcuts across bars and telling when we've entered a shipping
channel. We do not have charting software which you might use for some of
that stuff assuming that the charts for your area have been recently
updated. For example, most anchorages on the Chesapeake haven't been
resurveyed for years and they change with every flood. On the Chesapeake we
aren't really concerned about hitting a rock.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Rock Hall (Swan Creek) / MD