[Rhodes22-list] R22 Instrumentation

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 28 07:18:54 EST 2006

Dave,

Last week I posted a few articles about a new 38' Carolina Classic sport
fisherman boat that sank recently while en route from Edenton to the Miami
boat show.  It seems no one on the list took much notice, but this event has
intrigued me since I first read about it.   It turns out the Captain was 78
years old and evidently experienced.  His mate was 55 and not much was
written about him.  Both died of hypothermia resulting from exposure to cold
water when the new boat they were delivering sank in 18' of water, about 5
miles from Oriental, NC  near Garbacon shoals.

Last Friday I helped my buddy Lawrence deliver his Tanzer 26 from Oriental
to New Bern to prepare for a race last Saturday.  As is our custom, we ate
lunch at M&Ms Restaurant before departing  and happened to sit at the bar
next to Captain Larry Walker (who teaches the Captain's courses in
Oriental).  We engaged in a discussion about the accident -- it has been the
talk of the town since it happened.

Captain Walker made some excellent points I feel are worth sharing.  First,
if the lost souls had contacted the Coast Guard, they would doubtless be
alive today.  They only had 5 watt hand-held radios with them, which in 3-4'
waves may not have been able to transmit that far.  The investigation
revealed that other hand helds at that location could not raise the Coast
Guard either.   VHF is line of sight and it was blowing 30 that day.   A
fixed mount VHF on a sailboat is a big advantage worth acquiring: 25 watts
of power and 30' of  antenna elevation.  The higher the antenna, the longer
the range.

Captain Walker strongly suggested an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating
Radio Beacon).
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|302025|320637&id=99121 This
is a small expensive device that sends a signal up to a satellite and on to
the Coast Guard, telling them you need help.  You just throw it in the water
and it automatically goes to work saving your life.  Don't buy an EPIRB
without the built-in GPS feature.  The GPS EPIRB transmits the location of
the EPIRB to the Coast Guard.  This can save lots of time they would
otherwise waste on triangulation.  When hypothermia is involved minutes can
be life and death.

There are now fixed VHF sets available that connect with your GPS and have
an emergency switch that will transmit your position to nearby vessels with
similar equipment and to the Coast Guard.  (The Uniden UM 525 is one
example, on sale now at Defender for $150.)  Evidently, Channel 70 is soon
to be the new emergency channel and these are set up for that too.  These
radios are much less expensive and for coastal sailing may be a reasonable
compromise.  However, if the cockpit fills with water and the electrical
system shorts out the radio may not be much good and you may wish for an
EPIRB.

If you are still deciding how to spend money on your new Rhodes, you might
want to consider some of these equipment choices.  I hope you never have the
need to use them.

PT