[Rhodes22-list] boat sinks, two die, reply to Captain Thorn

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Feb 28 05:31:31 EST 2006

Peter,
      Contrary to your assumption that nobody read your post about sinking
boats, most on this list do read the interesting post just do not routinely
reply.  Furthermore, they were waiting for your follow up that you posted
today.  That is a good job.
      Your follow up and words of caution are taken seriously.  For those
buying new VHF's, they should seriously look at the Uniden UM 525  on sale
in Defender.  Rummy has spoken for years on the placement of the antenna on
top of the mast.  Unfortuantely my boat came with an antenna on the stern
rail and I never moved it.  I guess I need to study the move.   Is the cable
used RG-9m?
       The EPIRB has not been adequately discussed on this list.  Gee, even
Mary Lou could put one with her Mob stuff on the stern rail.  Now if Bud had
looked at the Defender catalog, not only would he have known what Mary Lou
had attached to stern rail, but also discovered the EPIRB.  Amazing what you
find in the marine equipment catalogs.
       I did not follow my own advice and did not see that program on North
Carolina ETV about sailing Pamlico Sound.  However, Claiborne Young
convinced them to replay it on Saturday, March 25 at 10:00 am.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA